Did you know these facts about your great continent?
- The human race is of African origin. The oldest known skeletal remains of anatomically modern humans (or homo sapiens sapiens) were excavated at sites in East Africa. Human remains were discovered at Omo in Ethiopia that were dated at 195,000 years old, the oldest known in the world.
- Africans were the first to organise fishing expeditions 90,000 years ago.
- Africans were the first to engage in mining 43,000 years ago
- Africans pioneered basic arithmetic 25,000 years ago.
- Africans cultivated crops 12,000 years ago, the first known advances in agriculture
- Africans carved the world’s first colossal sculpture 7,000 or more years ago
- Sudan has more pyramids than any other country on earth – even more than Egypt. There are at least 223 pyramids in the Sudanese cities of Al Kurru, Nuri, Gebel Barkal and Meroë. They are generally 20 to 30 metres high and steep sided.
- A collection of one thousand six hundred books was considered a small library for a West African scholar of the 16th century. Professor Ahmed Baba of Timbuktu is recorded as saying that he had the smallest library of any of his friends – he had only 1600 volumes.
- The mediaeval Nigerian city of Benin was built to “a scale comparable with the Great Wall of China”
- The first black American president is African.
Africa is a great continent with great minds and great resources. Let us put our Mama Africa where she deserves to be. Our time has come to arise and make Africa Shine.